Tuesday 23 February 2016

Eon and Eona by Alison Goodman

Series: Eon, #1, #2.

Publication:
Eon: Dargoneye Reborn: December 26th 2008 by Viking Books for Young Readers 
Eona:The Last Dragoneye:April 19th 2011 by Viking

GoodReads description for book 1 Eon: Dragoneye Reborn: 


Also Known As: Two Pearls of Wisdom, Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye, and Eon (All the same book just published with different publishers)

Swordplay, dragon magic--and a hero with a desperate secret.

Twelve-year-old Eon has been in training for years. His intensive study of Dragon Magic, based on East Asian astrology, involves two kinds of skills: sword-work and magical aptitude. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye--an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.

But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a boy for the chance to become a Dragoneye. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured.

When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.

My spoiler free thoughts:

Overall I think both Eon and Eona are enjoyable reads but I found myself more interested in the second book. But I did have a few problems with both books.

Book one is much slower paced than the second book because there was a lot of world building. This can be positive thing or a negative thing depending on what you prefer. personally I like faster paced books. Eona on the other hand had a much faster pace which I appreciated. There was a lot more action as the characters were moving around and Eona was interacting with a lot more characters.

Both books are full of political intrigue which I found interesting. I love reading about courts and all the rivalries going on within them.

I found the magic system confusing at times. It wasn’t really until the end of book one and second book that I felt I really understood what the dragons where capable of. I have never read a book about dragons that weren’t the stereotypical fire breathing type so it was interesting to learn about theses ones that are so powerful. Essentially they control the weather.

World building is more prevalent in book 1. The beginning of the book really focuses on building up this world that was inspired by eastern cultures but Goodman puts a spin on them and creates her own rich world. The writing is great the descriptions are so vivid and detailed which I liked.

I loved that there was no romance in the first book it’s not often I stumble across a YA book that doesn’t have a love story in it. And I’m so glad there wasn’t because it wouldn’t have fit with the story and would have felt forced. There is a romance in the second book Eona. I understand why it was put in- it created a lot of tension and it really pushed the plot forward; but I was frustrated with the characters because of how they were acting.

I really appreciated the themes introduced in the book. I do think that these novels are for mature young adult fans because of the situations and themes explored with transgender characters, eunuchs, forced intimacy, and physical assault. There are also themes of gender, sexuality, identity, and then deception and trust which are explored more in the second book.

All the characters were so interesting and fleshed out. They all have their own stories to tell and added to the story. I really like how diverse the cast of characters was- there is a transgender character and a few eunuchs.

I liked Eona, but at times I was frustrated with her because she made some decisions I didn’t agree with. I did really like seeing her struggle with this identity crisis, I found it so interesting that she feels like she has to supress her femininity. She’s a bit hypocrite at times. She was withholding information and being dishonest and then when she found out other characters where doing the same she got upset. I found this irritating at times. I think because I was frustrated with her a lot of the time particularly in book two that hindered my enjoyment of the story. I really need to love the main character to love the book.


I really enjoyed reading the side characters particularly Lady Dela (she is probably my favourite character in the series), Rilla and Chart.

my ratings:

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn:  3 stars
Eona: The Last Dragoneye: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment