Tuesday 19 April 2016

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

*Warning this post contains spoilers for the first and second books in the series, The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and The Answer*

Series: Chaos Walking Trilogy, #3

Publication:May 3rd 2010 by Walker Books Ltd

Goodreads description:
Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await?

My thoughts:
If you were disappointed with book 2 and aren't sure if you should continue with the series I'm here to say that you should. Patrick Ness really stepped up his game in Monsters of Men. I wasn't loving the series until this book. It's definitely my favourite book in the trilogy. 

Monsters of Men was full of action. The plot was fast paced and I couldn't put the book down. I think the short POVs in each chapter really sped up my reading. We never spent too long in someone's head which I really liked because I wasn't a fan of the newest POV added. Yes along with Todd and Viola we get another narrator. 

Ness' writing style has really grown on me. The multiple POVs were not confusing at all. Ness really made sure that each character had his/her own unique voice.

Aside from all the action going down Todd and Viola's relationship was my favourite aspect of the novel. The progression from friendship into a romance was perfectly paced, I loved it! Their relationship is how a YA romance storyline should be written! No instalove and no relationship drama it was so refreshing no to have a couple arguing or not communicating!

we get to learn a lot more about the Spackle in Monsters of Men which was very interesing. They were developed in a way I wasn't expecting which I liked.

The ending was full of OMG moments. I seriously could not put the book down. It was a very satisfying ending, if an emotional one!

My rating: 4 stars out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment