Tuesday 2 August 2016

The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Publication:May 17th 2016 by Harlequin Teen

Goodreads description:
For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.

Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.

It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.

My thoughts:
Heartbreaking and beautiful. One of my favourite reads so far this year.

I'm not going to lie, The Problem With Forever was hard to read. Child abuse and neglect and its long term effects are at the forefront of this story. I think Armentrout dealt with a very hard subject well and I'm glad she decided to write a story about it as it shines some light on a topic that's not talked about often but unfortunately is prevalent in our society today.

As you can guess The Problem With Forever is a character driven story. I loved getting to know Mallory and going on this journey with her. Her character development is done in an excellent and realistic way. I found myself relating to Mallory straight off the bat. She's extremely easy to relate to even if he situation is drastically different to most people's. I think a lot of people will relate to her- she suffers from anxiety and is very quiet and personally I really liked that as I could relate to her. I really felt for her, when she was happy I was happy for her and on numerous occasions I was so proud of how far she's come.

I loved how things like stereotyping, biases and  prejudices were themes woven into the story. Armentrout highlights how we shouldn't be so quick to judge people. I've never really thought about it but that's not something that's talked a lot about in YA.

There are so many good messages in this book, I could go on forever about them. Standing up for yourself is touched on. I think everyone will take something away from this book. Personally I've taken away how it's okay to be afraid but you shouldn't let that fear stop you from living.

There is definitely  heartbreaking parts in this story, as can be be expected with a topic such as child abuse so it's a tearjerker so have the tissues ready!

Overall, The Problem With Forever was an amazing story. I want to see more books like this in the YA section of the bookshop.

My rating: 4.5 stars
Thanks for reading,
A :)
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment