Tuesday 6 September 2016

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

Publication:February 3rd 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Goodreads description: 
If Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing separating Skylar from art school is three months of summer…until Skylar’s mother loses her job, and Skylar realizes her dreams may be slipping out of reach.

Josh had a different escape route: the Marines. But after losing his leg in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be.

What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and, soon, something deeper.

Compelling and ultimately hopeful, this is a powerful examination of love, loss, and resilience.


My thoughts:
New favourite contemporary. If you're looking for something that has more substance than your usual light fluffy YA contemporary pick up I'l Meet You There.

I'll Meet You There is a slow paced character driven story. And I think it would be pretty hard not to love all the characters. 

The main character, Sky, is not like a lot of YA protagonists. I really liked how she deals with a lot of things that happen in real life but aren't explored that much in YA. She lives in a trailer park, she struggles with money and getting food on the table. She is dealing with a lot. And it makes her feel like a real person, especially when she makes mistakes. She's flawed just like everyone else on this planet. I liked how she dealt with her situation, she wasn't whiny or moaning about how crap her life is, she just gets on with it and tries her best.

I liked Josh too. He has his ups and downs bt for the most part I enjoyed his character. The story opens with him coming home from the war in Afghanistan so he is dealing with PTSD. I think Demetrios explored the subject very well and portrayed a realistic representation of it.

I loved the side characters, especially Sky's best friend Dylan and her boss Marge. All of the side characters are fleshed out really well.

I'll Meet You There is told in duel points of view; Sky and Josh. Demetrios did an excellent job making them have distinct voices, I never got confused how was narrating while reading. I wanted more or Josh though- I felt like his sections were very short but were extremely well written.

I really liked how I'll Meet You There had some very Important themes such as family and poverty but what really makes it stand out is how war and it impact on people is addressed in the story.

I'l Meet You There is a story I won't be forgetting.

My Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

Thanks for reading,
A :) 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment