Tuesday 14 February 2017

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

Publication:September 17th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Goodreads Description:
Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, This Song Will Save Your Life is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.


My thoughts:
This Song Will Save Your Life is a good book but by no means amazing. Personally I didn't love it.

I usually love a book if I love the characters so I think a big reason why I didn't like This Song Will Save Your Live was because I didn't like Elise. I couldn't relate to her at all and she was so annoying in the beginning with the whole 'I need to change to be cool and impress people' thing going on. Maybe if I'd read this when I was younger I might have liked her better. But I just think you should never change to impress people so her thoughts in the beginning were so irritating to me. She was so judgy as well- she constantly made judgements about people who she didn't even know-it annoyed me so much. She bashed on music she wasn't into, musicians, her classmates, everything! She was so hypocritical- she didn't want other people to judge her and she was going around judging them!

I felt like the story was way too short. The characters were not fleshed out enough for me to care about them and the relationships weren't developed enough. I didn't care about Elise's new friendships with these people because I didn't know these people.

I didn't like the ending. A lot stuff was just left hanging and I wanted more closure.

I did like the message of the story but I wanted more from it. It is a story about finding yourself and doing what makes you happy regardless of what others think but I felt like it could have been executed better. I think it's  great message but it's more aimed at younger teens which is why I don't think I enjoyed it much.


Overall, This Song Will Save Your Life, didn't leave a lasting impression on me. I thought it was okay but nothing special. 

My Rating: 3 stars

Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment