Tuesday 25 April 2017

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Publication:November 8th 2016 by Feiwel & Friends

Goodreads Description:
Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans. 

My thoughts:
Heartless was very different than I expected. I liked it but didn't love like I did the rest of Meyer's books. I think my expectations were too high because I'm such a big fan of The Lunar Chronicles.

Heartless reads in a very childlike and whimsical way if that makes sense. If I could use on one word to describe it, I'd say quirky.

The writing was great (it's Marissa Meyer) but I did have trouble visualising some of the characters and scenes. I had cartoon pictures in my head at times and then more realistic ones at others- it was weird. I usually don't have problem with visualising what I'm reading. 

Onto characters. I liked Catherine well enough be didn't love her. It was fun reading about a baker though and I admired how determined she was to make her dream of opening a bakery come true. 

The romance wasn't for me. I had no strong feeling about Jest or their relationship. It fell kind of flat for me and I couldn't see the chemistry.

Overall, Heartless is a fun easy read but nothing spectacular.

My rating: 4 stars 
Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment