Tuesday 23 May 2017

Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken

*This post contains spoilers for the first book in the series, Passenger.*
My review of book 1 Passenger: Here!

Series: Passenger, #2

Publication:January 3rd 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

Goodreads Description:
All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected—Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master’s heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta’s past could put them both at risk.

Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travelers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realizes that one of his companions may have ulterior motives.

As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognizable… and might just run out on both of them.
 


My Thoughts:
Wayfarer is an enjoyable read and I would recommend it if you have started the series. I would highly recommend rereading Passenger or read a summary before you read Wayfarer! I had forgotten so many details and was so grateful I took the time to read the summary because Wayfarer jumps right into the action and there isn't much recapping.

The plot was okay but there was slow parts and I did have to push myself to read them but it does pick up again. I think the book was way too long for what happened in in. It was also a bit frustrating how long it took for storylines to intersect and I think had the characters crossed paths earlier it would have made the story more engaging and fun to read. 

Etta and Nicholas' romance is not the focus of Wayfarer which I was so grateful for (I wasn't a fan of it in book 1) because it meant we could spend more time adventuring and focusing on the task at hand instead of being sidetracked with all the relationship drama that usually occurs in 2nd books in a series.

We get a lot more of Sophia and Julian in Wayfarer which I was not expecting! I really liked getting to know them and their development was paced really well. Sophia plays a much bigger role in Wayfarer and I loved it. She is so blunt and her determination is admirable. I love how she done't let anyone tell her what she can can't do. Julian is a bit annoying but his character arc was done really well and he matures slowly over the course of the story.

Little side note: Bracken really explored racism in book 1 and she stepped it up and made the story even more diverse in terms of race and sexuality in book 2 and handled these issues really well. 

The ending was really satisfying but I could see how Bracken could write more in this world and if it followed certain characters I definitely think I would pick them up!

My Rating: 4
Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment