Tuesday 30 January 2018

Paperweight by Mag Haston

*Trigger warning with this book for eating disorders and self harm*

Publication:July 7th 2015 by HarperTeen

Goodreads Description:
Seventeen-year-old Stevie is trapped. In her life. And now in an eating-disorder treatment center on the dusty outskirts of the New Mexico desert.

Life in the center is regimented and intrusive, a nightmare come true. Nurses and therapists watch Stevie at mealtime, accompany her to the bathroom, and challenge her to eat the foods she’s worked so hard to avoid.

Her dad has signed her up for sixty days of treatment. But what no one knows is that Stevie doesn't plan to stay that long. There are only twenty-seven days until the anniversary of her brother Josh’s death—the death she caused. And if Stevie gets her way, there are only twenty-seven days until she too will end her life.


My thoughts:
Paperweight is a raw emotional story of what it's like to live with an eating disorder. I want to place a huge trigger warning that this book has some very graphic content in regards to EDs and self harm and that readers should be aware of this before picking it up.

This book had some great representation for eating disorders. It was clearly well researched and portrayed in a realistic manner. There are some very raw and graphic scenes of what it is like to suffer from an ED and the thoughts people have when suffering from an ED. While I don't have an ED I do have a difficult relationship with food and could relate to a lot of Stevie's thought process. I really related to her at parts and it did make it difficult to keep reading at times but I am so glad I did. I really appreciated how the author talked about labels and control.

I also loved how the story brought the issue of toxic friendships to light. I read so many great friendships in books which I love but it nice to have something different this time. Toxic friendships do happen in real life and are hardly talked about in media and need to be discussed. I loved how Stevie came to realise one of her so called friends wasn't good for her.

I also loved there was a big emphasis on Stevie's relationships with others in the treatment centre. I loved the gradual friendship she builds with her roommate Ashley who she is determined to ignore in the beginning. I also really enjoyed reading her relationship develop with Anna her therapist. Anna is developed as a professional but also as a person who has emotions which I liked.

Paperweight is a very emotional read and I won't lie, it is hard to read some part. I found some parts of the story very hard to get through because of the nature of the content. I never cry reading but this one got me bad.

I would recommend Paperweight to those trying to educate themselves on eating disorders and the reality of them. The story has lots of lessons for those who know little about these mental illnesses such as how eating disorders are not just about food.

Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment