Thursday 16 July 2015

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson



Warning spoilers ahead for The Final Empire and The Well of Ascension.

Series: Mistborn #3

Publication: April 28th 2009 

Goodreads summary:
Who is the Hero of Ages?

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

Having escaped death at the climax of The Well of Ascension only by becoming a Mistborn himself, Emperor Elend Venture hopes to find clues left behind by the Lord Ruler that will allow him to save the world. Vin is consumed with guilt at having been tricked into releasing the mystic force known as Ruin from the Well. Ruin wants to end the world, and its near omniscience and ability to warp reality make stopping it seem impossible. She can't even discuss it with Elend lest Ruin learn their plans!

My thoughts:
I think The Hero of Ages is a very satisfying conclusion to the Mistborn trilogy. Everything was wrapped up very nicely and I got all my questions I had at the end of book two answered.

I think the world building is what really makes this series stand out. In this book we get to learn a lot more about the kandra and their politics and world, which was really interesting. We also get introduced to a new magic system called Hemalurgy.

I think The Hero of Ages is the most predictable of the three books. I was able to correctly guess some of the major plot points which was kind of disappointing, because while I like to be right I also like to be surprised.

I did feel like this book was slower than the other two. Sazed and TenSoon's POVs at the beginning of the novel weren't very exciting. I found the other storylines to be more captivating. But the pace did pick up later on. 

Spook has a much more prominent role in this book, I can't really get into it without spoilers but he's a very important character in this book and I really liked his character arc. He's become one of my favourite characters.

If your looking for a fun quick read this isn't for you. At around 700 pages it take a while to get through especially since the middle section is a bit slow.

My rating: 4 stars out of 5. Would have given it five but I had problems with the pacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment