Friday 8 July 2016

Rebel of The Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

Series: Rebel of the Sands, #1

Publication: March 8th 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers

Goodreads description:
She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands.

Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from.

Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him... or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is.

My thoughts:
Rebel of the Sands is a fast paced fun adventure!I found it really easy to get into. It's was captivating from the first page to the last. I really enjoyed reading it and definitely recommend it for those looking for a fun easy read!

The plot of Rebel of the Sands is super engaging and fast paced. There is lots of action and adventure. I couldn't stop reading. I flew through it in 2 sittings in under 24 hours!

Amani is probably my favourite character. She is just so cool; she's a sharpshooter, something I never really come across in my reading! I really liked her. She take risks but she's also smart and has a goo was on her shoulders. She can be a bit naive but I guess that's because she hasn't really seen the world as she's been stuck in Duskwalk her whole life.

I did like Jin (the foreigner mentioned in the blurb) but I wasn't overly impressed with him. I am glad that the author decided to go in the direction she did with him as I know a lot of readers will/have been surprised about a reveal about who he is. He's definitely a mysterious character and I do want to learn more about him.

We meet a lot of new characters towards the end of the book. I felt like we were only introduced to them though and I really liked a lot of them so I'm excited to learn more about the  in the next book!

I got a sense of Insta love at the start of the novel and was thinking "oh no, I'm not going to like this" but then the romance really took a back seat and became a kind of subplot, which I really liked. There was hardly any focus on the romance for the majority of the book!

The setting was really cool- I've never read a desert setting before!
I think the author really captured the hardships and the heat of the desert well.

The world building was okay. We learn a lot about the fantasy side of things by listening to characters tell stories so I found it a bit info dumpy which I'm not a fan of.

Overall I really enjoyed Rebel of the Sand it was a quick fun read and I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series!

My rating: 4stars
Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment