Tuesday 23 August 2016

The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman

Publication:January 26th 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers 

Series: Lady Helen, #1

Goodread Description:
New York Times bestseller Alison Goodman’s eagerly awaited new project: a Regency adventure starring a stylish and intrepid demon-hunter!

London, April 1812. On the eve of eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall’s presentation to the queen, one of her family’s housemaids disappears-and Helen is drawn into the shadows of Regency London. There, she meets Lord Carlston, one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of demons infiltrating every level of society. Dare she ask for his help, when his reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her intelligence and headstrong curiosity wind up leading them into a death trap?


My thoughts:
While I enjoyed parts of The Dark Days Club overall it just didn't live up to my expectations. I went in expecting demons left right and centre and fight scenes every few chapters and that's not what I got. Yes there is a few demons and fight scenes but overall it's a much slower story than I was expecting.

I struggled to get through the first half of the book and really had to push myself to read it; luckily I did because the second half was much better. If you push through it's worth it. The plot really picks up after the half way point and has a lot more action. The second half is really what saved the book for me.

Aspects of The Dark Days Club are unique but on numerous occasions I felt like I'd read it before. There was a lot of similarities to other YA books. Maybe it's because I've read a lot of YA so other readers may not notice this but I was constantly thinking 'hmm...this is like ___'. 

I really liked the historical aspect. I felt like it was pretty accurate.The author definitely did her research and it shows. I really liked reading about how society has all these rules about women and courting. It was interesting to see this world of balls and propriety mix with the paranormal stuff going on.

I loved the female friendship we get to see between Lady Helen and her maid.

I wasn't a fan of the romance. To me it was just okay. I didn't feel any spark between Lady Helen and her love interest. It's a very slow burning relationship and I assume it will be fleshed out / developed more in the next book.

I will probably pick up the next book if it gets really good reviews.

My rating: 3.5 stars

Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment