Tuesday 24 July 2018

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Publication: March 2007 by Scholastic Press

Goodreads Description:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery. 

My thoughts:
The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a quick easy children's book I really enjoyed. It looks intimidating on the shelf being over 500 pages but it flies by. It is such a unique book that is a cross between a novel and graphic novel with hundreds of illustrations scattered throughout!

The main character, Hugo, is lonely and his situation of feeling lost after losing a loved one makes him easily relatable. Another relatable character was the toy maker's daughter, Isabelle, who was my favourite! I loved bookish personality and curiosity about everything!

I loved the plot! It's a mix of action and adventure with chase scenes one page and slower character moments the next. It was so well paced I couldn't stop reading.

I was blown away by the illustrations. They really added something unique to the story. They took up about half the pages and moved the story along nice and quickly; had they not been included I think it would have been a very slow read I wouldn't have enjoyed as much. They were absolutely stunning and had me itching to grab my pencil to try recreate them. 

The ending was very sweet and I could have been happier with it!

The Invention of Hugo Cabret was an enjoyable read and I'd recommend it if your looking for something light to read that you don't need to concentrate a lot on and can get read in a handful of hours!

Definitely one I will be using in the classroom with my kids in the future!

Thanks for reading,

A :)P

No comments:

Post a Comment