Friday 16 October 2015

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan




 Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard

Publication: October 6th 2015 by Disney Hyperion

Goodreads summary:
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.


One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . . 

My thoughts:
*Before getting into my thoughts I just want to make it clear that you do not have to have read Rick Riordan's other series to read Magnus Chase.*

I loved this book. It was a perfect blend of some of my favourite aspects of Riordan's other series. It has the hilarious first person narrative from Percy Jackson and the Olympians and had older characters as the protagonists like him Heroes of Olympus.

I was worried going into the book that the characters would be copies of Percy, Annabeth and all the rest but I was worried for nothing. Magnus and his gang are all unique. One of the best things about this book was the diverse characters.

Magnus is not a copy of Percy. Yes they have similarities but they also have differences. I felt like Magnus was more mature and grown-up than Percy. He sets out on his quest and doesn't get distracted. He's focused on getting things done.

We are introduced to a young Muslim girl Samirah Al-Abbas. I love how openly she talks about her hijab and her arranged marriage that she is excited about. Sam is one of my favourite characters. I think it's great that Rick Riordan has character like Sam in his books it's fantastic to see diversity!

As to be expected, The Sword of Summer was packed with action, adventure and magic. Magic is definitely going to be a big part in this series and I can't wait to learn more. 

Norse mythology is obviously a major part of the story. I knew next to nothing about Norse Gods so for me The Sword of Summer was both an education and a fun read. I loved learning about all the gods, monsters,dwarves and elves.

The Sword of Summer was a great introduction to the world and characters. I'm excited to see where the story goes in the next one!

My rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment