Saturday 14 November 2015

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell





Publication: October 6th 2015 by St. Martin's Griffin

Goodreads summary:
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters. 

My thoughts:
You do not have to had read Fangirl to read Carry On.

I am kind of obsessed with this book. I thought I related to Cath when I read Fangirl but now I totally understand her. Simon and Baz are some Rainbow's of the best characters and I am obsessed with them just like Cath.

After reading the snippets of Simons story we got in Fangirl I was worried that Carry On was going to be too similar to Harry Potter but Carry On can stand on its own as something unique. It does have some of the common fantasy tropes but Rowell somehow makes this fantasy story feel like a contemporary. It has the magic and action of a fantasy and the cute and funny of a contemporary.I hope she writes more fantasy in the future. She's a fantastic writer.

Simon and Penny's friendship was a big highlight. Strong friendships like theirs isn't something I see a lot of in YA. They are usually overshadowed by the romance storyline but this one was so strong. I loved how much they were there for each other.
My favourite character has to be Baz. He has some of the funniest lines, especially when he is interacting with Penny. I was not expecting to like him as much as I do. Reading his POV was my favourite.

Carry On has a satisfying ending but, like with all of Rainbow Rowell's books, I wouldn't complain if she wrote more books about any of the characters!

My rating: 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment