Tuesday 24 January 2017

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Six of Crows, #2

Publication:September 27th 2016 by Orion Children's Books

Goodreads Description:
Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and left crippled by the kidnapping of a valuable team member, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of magic in the Grisha world

My Thoughts:
I was anxious going into Crooked Kingdom because I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype and wouldn't be as amazing as Six of Crows but after reading it I am here to tell you Crooked Kingdom is just as amazing as Six of Crows and is a phenomenal conclusion to the Six of Crows duology.

I would recommend reading The Grisha Trilogy before reading Crooked Kingdom. You can reading it without having read TGT but characters from the trilogy pop up and play a big role in the story of Crooked Kingdom. If you hadn't read The Grisha Trilogy it wouldn't take anything away from Crooked Kingdom but I think it would be better if you knew the characters.

The plot of Crooked Kingdom was crazy. It was just as action packed as SoC. There was lots of twists and turns; I was surprised over and over again with all the plot twists.

I still stand by what I said about SoC that it is the characters that make this series. The six main characters are just so well rounded and complex. Bardugo did an excellent job with all of their character arcs in Crooked Kingdom. Kaz's character development in particular is done so well. When you finish Crooked Kingdom and look back he is a completely different person than when we first met him at the start of SoC. Inej is my favourite. She is like a little ninja in Crooked Kingdom; her chapters were probably my favourite. Nina is a freaking badass in this book I love it. I really liked all the others too. 

There was a lot of relationships going on in Crooked Kingdom and I was glad that Bardugo managed to give each one equal amounts of page time. Kaz and Inej's relationship is probably the most complex and complicated and the development was perfectly paced and so well done. I felt like it was done in a way that was super realistic. We get a lot more Jesper and Wylan in Crooked Kingdom compared to SoC and I loved it; there was some unnecessary drama but they are a fun pair to read about. I wasn't the biggest fan of Nina and Matthias; I just didn't care as much as I did for the others. And of course I loved all the friendships between the squad.

The ending wrapped everything up really nicely but some thing's could be explore more. I have my fingers crossed that Bardugo decides to write more in this world with these characters because I love reading their adventures. 

My rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment