Tuesday 31 January 2017

The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins

Publication:January 13th 2015 by Riverhead Books

Goodreads Description:
The debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?


My thoughts:
I never read mysteries or thrillers and The Girl on the Train did not sell the genre to me. It wasn't the best one to start on; I'm not really interested in picking up more in the genre now because i didn't like this one. The Girl on the Train was just okay. I had a lot of problems with it.

Firstly the characters; not a single one of them is likeable or relatable. They were all awful people who are all selfish and self centred, They couldn't care less about the consequences of their actions. The only thing I appreciated about them was that they were all flawed.

Rachel, the main character was so depressing to read about. It was not fun reading about a sad alcoholic who was doing nothing to try make her situation better. The only good thing about her was she challenges readers to think about how much we assume about--and pre-judge--other people based on our limited knowledge of them.

A big problem I had with the story was how all the women were portrayed. They are all defined by the men they are married to/dating. The three female characters were all pathetic to be honest, it annoyed me how they were all so dependent on the men. As a 19 year old girl I want to be reading about strong admirable role models in the literature I read.

The writing was very plain. There was nothing special about it. The only good thing was the chapters were short an to the point. 

The plot was boring to me. I wasn't intrigued at all. I didn't care about the mystery.The big plot twist at the end wasn't a plot twist for me- I saw it coming a mile away.

Overall The Girl on the Train fell flat for me and I was very disappointed. It definitely didn't live up to the hype.

My rating: 2.5 stars out of 5

Thanks for reading,
A :)
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment