Tuesday 25 July 2017

Shadowcaster by Cinda Williams Chima

Series: Shattered Realms, #2

Publication: April 4th 2017 by HarperTeen

Goodreads Description:
A lifelong war.

Alyssa ana’Raisa is the reluctant princess heir to the Gray Wolf throne of Fells, a queendom embroiled in a seemingly endless war. Hardened by too many losses, Lyss is more comfortable striking with a sword than maneuvering at court. After a brush with death, she goes on the offensive, meaning to end the war that has raged her whole life. If her gamble doesn’t pay off, she could lose her queendom before she even ascends to the throne.

A life in peril.

Across enemy lines in Arden, young rising star Captain Halston Matelon has been fighting for his king since he was a lýtling. Lately, though, he finds himself sent on ever more dangerous assignments. Between the terrifying rumors of witches and wolfish warriors to the north and his cruel king at home, Hal is caught in an impossible game of life and death.

The shadow of defeat. 

My thoughts:
Shadowcaster is fantastic but unfortunately I didn't love it as much as book one, Flamecaster. I was a little bit disappointed because I had so much theories and hopes and expectations going in and the book went in a different direction because it focused on new characters instead of those in the first book. That being said I still really enjoyed it- it's Cinda Williams Chima so that's no surprise.

I loved how the whole time I was reading I was constantly coming up with theories. These books are known for how all the different narratives are woven together so well so I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how certain characters were going to bump into each other. It was a lot of fun, even if I was wrong a lot of the time!

I personally felt like Shadowcaster was a filler book. Big things did happen but it felt like everything was being set up for the next instalment.

Shadowcaster focuses on new characters that are just mentioned in book 1 but were not fleshed out. Alyssa is one of these characters. She is one of the main characters in Shadowcaster and I loved every second she had some page time. She is so different from a lot of other YA protagonists. She's a badass princess who is general in an army! I wasn't the biggest fan of the male protagonist, Han. He was okay but not as much fun to read about. The chemistry between the two was off the charts though and I had fun reading their interactions. Their relationship was developed at a lovely pace and really fleshed out.

I was a bit disappointed that there was no POV from one of my favourite characters in the first book, I was just waiting and waiting for it and it never happened.

This world is already super developed because there is so many books already out but it looks like Chima is planning on expanding it even more with hints of new magic here and there throughout Shadowcaster and I am excited to see where it goes.

I found the ending to be a bit frustrating. I felt like all the storylines were finally coming together and then it cut off. It also ended on a cliff hanger so that's annoying too.

I am so excited for the next book because this one was kind of like a filler book were everything was set up for some major things to happen in the next one! It's one of my highly anticipated books for 2018!

My rating: 4

Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment