Tuesday 26 September 2017

Spoiler free series review of Blood for Blood by Catherine Doyle




Series: Blood for Blood

Book 1: Vendetta
Book 2: Inferno
Book 3: Mafioso

Goodreads Description of book 1; Vendetta:
When it comes to revenge, love is a dangerous complication.With a fierce rivalry raging between two warring families, falling in love is the deadliest thing Sophie could do. An epic debut set outside modern-day Chicago.

When five brothers move into the abandoned mansion in her neighbourhood, Sophie Gracewell's life changes forever. Irresistibly drawn to bad boy Nicoli, Sophie finds herself falling into a criminal underworld governed by powerful families. As the boys' dark secrets begin to come to light, Sophie is confronted with stinging truths about her own family, too. She must choose between two warring dynasties - the one she was born into, and the one she is falling in love with. When she does, blood will spill and hearts will break.

My thoughts:
I have divided my thoughts into three parts for the books. There are no spoilers for the book I am writing about under each headin(i.e. If you have only read book 1 you can read my review for book 1 and 2 without being spoiled)

Book 1: Vendetta 
I went into Vendetta with low expectations, I wanted to a new adult romance with no plot or anything of substance and that's not what I got! I was so misled by the blurb and cover! Vendetta is actually YA and while it does have a romance it's not the main focus. I can 100% say I was pleasantly surprised with it! It was angsty, addictive and a super quick read. I was reading for what felt like an hour and I was already half way. I was sucked in from the first page and couldn't stop reading.

I was surprised at how quickly I grew to care about the characters. I was scared for them I was happy for them! And even scared of them at times. I liked how the characters actions really made me think- like I was hesitant to like some of them because their actions weren't always what I consider to be morally right.

I liked the main character Sophie but didn't love her. She is smart but does some stupid stuff now and then but she's also snarky which I liked. She comes across as a very real teenage girl which helped me relate to her.

One of the main things I loved in Vendetta was Sophie's relationship with her best friend Millie. It is so fun seeing girls be friends with girls. Millie is everything to Sophie and I loved how it never turned bitchy between the two.

I will say that the storyline got very dark very quickly. It really got dark and gritty which I wasn't expecting. I was actually a bit shocked at times because while it's fiction the Mafia is something that happens in reality. Organised crime circles and whatnot and something I knew nothing about so Vendetta was actually pretty educational to me. I knew the word and that it had negative connotations but never knew what it really meant. It was interesting but also scary learning about the culture. This is the first time I've ever read anything about the Mafia and I was fascinated.

The writing is noting spectacular; it's very simple and easy to read which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just think it pulled the book down a bit.  

The plot was kind of predictable but I still had a lot of fun reading it! There is definitely twists and turns some readers won't pick up on so they will enjoy it even more, but for me I saw some stuff coming.

My rating for Vendetta: 4 stars

Book 2: Inferno 
I enjoyed Vendetta so I had high expectations going into Inferno and I was no disappointed; I enjoyed Inferno even more than Vendetta. I had just as much, if not more, fun reading book 2 in the trilogy!

Inferno starts with Sophie in a dark place dealing with ptsd due to the events of Vendetta and it goes from there. I loved how her character arc was done in Inferno. She slowly starts to work through what happened to her and start to live again.

There is a big focus on Sophie and Luca's relationship in Inferno which I loved. Their relationship was developed at such a lovely pace. I loved their banter with each other and was excited anytime I saw their names on the page together.

Millie and Sophie's friendship is still goals in this book! We explore their relationship even more than we did in Vendetta and get to see them grow as their relationship is challenged by the events going ok in Sophie's life now that she is tangled up with the Falcones.

The love triangle that was hinted at the end of book 1 does happen in book 2. I was firmly on one side the whole time. It caused a lot of drama which kept me reading. It was very interesting seeing Nic and Luca's brotherly relationship changed because their relationships with Sophie. I've read countless love triangles but never come across one between brothers so it was interesting to read.

My rating for Inferno: 4.5

Book 3: Mafioso 
I loved Inferno but I think I loved Mafioso even more; this might be my favourite book in the series! It had the perfect balance of drama and action with slower more character driven moments and I loved it!

Sophie and Luca's relationship really takes off in this book and they had some really cute moments that had me fangirling.

The plot was predictable like the previous two books but I still really enjoyed myself while reading. I was living for all the drama, I couldn't stop reading!

Mafioso ends the trilogy in a good place with some things left hanging so there is potential for another book but while also wrapping up enough for readers to be satisfied.

My rating for Mafioso: 4.5

Overall I really enjoyed the series. It surprised me and I had so much fun marathoning it! I can't wait to pick up more by Catherine Doyle!

Thanks for reading,

A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment