Tuesday 24 May 2016

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan

Series: The Trials of Apollo, #1

Publication:
May 3rd 2016 by Disney-Hyperion

Goodreads description:
How do you punish an immortal?

By making him human.

After angering his father Zeus, the god Apollo is cast down from Olympus. Weak and disorientated, he lands in New York City as a regular teenage boy. Now, without his godly powers, the four-thousand-year-old deity must learn to survive in the modern world until he can somehow find a way to regain Zeus's favour.

But Apollo has many enemies - gods, monsters and mortals who would love to see the former Olympian permanently destroyed. Apollo needs help, and he can think of only one place to go . . . an enclave of modern demigods known as Camp Half-Blood.

My thoughts:
The Hidden Oracle is a solid start to Rick Riordan's new series based on Greek mythology.

If you are wondering if you have to read Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus before The Hidden Oracle, the answer is yes. I'd advise reading PJO and HoO first, however if you have no intention of ever picking up PJO or HoO then you can go straight in to The Hidden Oracle as you'll be spoiled but it won't matter if you are not going to ever read the other series! (But seriously though, why wouldn't you want to read PJO an HoO, they're some of my favourite series!)

The Hidden Oracle is shorter than he's more recent books but I don't think this was a problem, everything was set up nicely for the rest of the series!

Apollo's character arc was so well written. I loved getting to see him struggle with his new mortal conscience. It was hilarious watching him adjust to mortal life. His narration was so funny. What I really loved though, was that he is one of the very few bisexual main characters I've come across in YA. So yay for diversity!

Like with all Rick Riordan's books, The Hidden Oracle was very educational. I learned lots about Greek mythology I didn't know and lots about Apollo.

Unfortunately, I found the plot to be a bit predictable. And I was a bit disappointed because it wasn't as questy (is that a word?!) as Riordan's other books. The story of The Hidden Oracle mostly takes place in Camp Half Blood. So I felt like it wasn't as adventurous as his other books.

The good thing about being at Canp Half blood was getting to see old characters! There's cameos and we get to hear news about others! But we also get introduced to lots of new campers which was cool too. I'm interested to get to know them more throughout the series.

I need the next book now that I know who is going to play a bigger part in the series!

My rating: 4.5
Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment