Tuesday 31 May 2016

Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima

Publication: April 5th 2016 by HarperCollins

Series: Shattered Realms, #1

Goodreads description:
A burning vengeance.

Adrian sul’Han, known as Ash, is a trained healer with a powerful gift of magic—and a thirst for revenge. The son of the queen of the Fells, Ash is forced into hiding after a series of murders throws the queendom into chaos. Now Ash is closer than he’s ever been to killing the man responsible, the cruel king of Arden. As a healer, can Ash use his powers not to save a life but to take it?

A blood-based curse.

Abandoned at birth, Jenna Bandelow was told the mysterious magemark on the back of her neck would make her a target. But when the King’s Guard launches a relentless search for a girl with a mark like hers, Jenna assumes that it has more to do with her role as a saboteur than any birth-based curse. Though Jenna doesn’t know why she’s being hunted, she knows that she can’t get caught.

Destiny’s fiery hand.

Eventually, Ash’s and Jenna’s paths will collide in Arden. Thrown together by chance and joined by their hatred of the king, they will come to rescue each other in ways they cannot yet imagine.

Set in the world of the acclaimed Seven Realms series a generation later, this is a thrilling story of dark magic, chilling threats, and two unforgettable characters walking a knife-sharp line between life and death.

My thoughts:
Fantastic first book in a series!

Since Flamwcaster is set in the same world as Seven Realms I would recommend reading Seven Realms first. It would help with understanding the world and magic system and some characters from the old series make appearances and familiar names definitely pop up. I think you would appreciate Flamecaster more if you read Seven Realms first.

Okay onto the characters.  I loved getting to know Ash. He's a healer which I found really interesting. So he prefers to kill with poison rather than a sword which was cool to see for a change.

Lila, one of Ash's friends, was probably my favourite character. She's witty and badass. I love how she determined she is to do what she's doing.

I really liked Jenna. She's a strange character but by no means an interesting one. Her background is quite mysterious and I had a million questions about her mage mark on her neck. We get some answers but I assume it will be explored more in book 2!

I don't want to say much about the plot but the way Cinda Williams Chima weaves all the characters stories together is brilliant. All the stories intertwine in such a complex way it fantastic. It's one of the reasons I love her books so much.

I think Flamecaster expanded the world of The Seven Realms wonderfully. We get to visit places we know from Seven Realms but also new places. And there's an introduction of pirates and some mythical/ fantastical creatures which I loved!

I thought the romance that formed was just okay. It felt a bit intsa-love for me so I'm not 100% on board yet.

All in all, Flamecaster is a solid start to a new series and I'll definitely be picking up the next book! I can't wait.

My rating: 4.5 stars

Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment