Tuesday 15 November 2016

The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1

Publication:March 27th 2007 by Penguin Group DAW Hardcover

Goodread description:
Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen. 

The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king form a gripping coming-of-age story unrivaled in recent literature. 

A high-action story written with a poet's hand, The Name of the Wind is a masterpiece that will transport readers into the body and mind of a wizard.


My thoughts:
I liked The Name of the Wind but didn't love it like so many other people do. I think my expectations were too high. I went in expecting a certain type of story and that's not what I got. To be honest I don't read a lot of adult fantasy so it might be that I wasn't used to the length.

To me it felt like there was no arc; there was no distinct beginning, middle or end. The novel felt more like the introduction to the Kvothe's story. I understand that this is only the first book in the series but usually there is some kind of resolution at the end of all the books in series. The end of The Name of The Wind wasn't really an ending, it was more like the end to a part one of a story.

If you are looking for a fast paced action packed story The Name of The Wind is not for you. The plot is slow, the reader literally just follows Kvothe's life story from when he is a child to a teenager. The book was way too long for me. I think things could have been left out and had no effect on the story. The narrator often goes of on tangents for pages and pages about irrelevant stuff which annoyed me. I really liked some parts but I'd get bored when we stayed in one place too long.

The Name of The Wind is written in duel point of view which to be honest is what kept me reading at times. The present and past timelines running throughout the story made it more engaging. I wanted to know how the main character ended up where he was. I was intrigued and had enough questions to keep reading.

I liked a lot of the side characters more than the main character; Kvothe. I just didn't connect with him very well, he wasn't easy to relate to and it annoyed be how when he was 15 he was acting a lot older than 15. While he was acting much older than his age, the other characters who were in the university with him who were supposedly adults were acting like teenagers at times. 

While I had problems with The Name of The Wind I am going to try the next book just because this series is so well loved by so many people and I have so many unanswered questions. 

My rating: 3 stars
Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment