Tuesday 17 October 2017

When Dimple Met Rishi By sandhya Menon

Publication: May 30th 2017 by Simon Pulse

Goodreads Description:
Dimple Shah has it all figured out. With graduation behind her, she’s more than ready for a break from her family, from Mamma’s inexplicable obsession with her finding the “Ideal Indian Husband.” Ugh. Dimple knows they must respect her principles on some level, though. If they truly believed she needed a husband right now, they wouldn’t have paid for her to attend a summer program for aspiring web developers…right?

Rishi Patel is a hopeless romantic. So when his parents tell him that his future wife will be attending the same summer program as him—wherein he’ll have to woo her—he’s totally on board. Because as silly as it sounds to most people in his life, Rishi wants to be arranged, believes in the power of tradition, stability, and being a part of something much bigger than himself.

The Shahs and Patels didn’t mean to start turning the wheels on this “suggested arrangement” so early in their children’s lives, but when they noticed them both gravitate toward the same summer program, they figured, Why not?

Dimple and Rishi may think they have each other figured out. But when opposites clash, love works hard to prove itself in the most unexpected ways. 

My thoughts:
When Dimple Met Rishi is such a cute and funny read, I had a smile on my face the entire time while reading. This contemporary is nothing like I've read before and I loved it! It's definitely a new favourite of mine.

Both the main characters, Dimple and Rishi, were so well written. They felt very really and were really fleshed out and rounded. I loved how I could relate and see myself in both of them at times.

Dimple is such an inspiration; she's a go getter, independent, forward thinking young lady which I loved. She's so passionate about her education and going to Stanford and breaking traditions I loved it. She's headstrong and driven and a joy to read even if she comes off as a bit self righteous at times. Rishi on the other hand is a lot calmer. He's such a gentleman. I loved how sweet and thoughtful and kind he was. 

Dimple and Rishi complement each other so nicely it was easy for me to get behind their relationship. I loved how their personalities really balanced each other out and watching them grow and learn from each other.

When Dimple Met Rishi is told in dual POV. I thought I'd be annoyed with it swapping POVs but they flowed really nicely together and it was fun reading their individual reactions and thoughts to the same stuff that's going on. Each POV is short and these short burst made the book so quick to read.

If you're looking for something with a big focus on the coding and tech side of things this one isn't for you. The main focus in Dimple and Rishi's relationship, I went in expecting there to be a big emphasises on the app and was a bit disappointed on that front.

I have to mention the diversity in this book because it was so refreshing. Both main characters are Indian American which is something I've never read before. This is an own voices novel so it is written in a very authentic manner.
I loved how the concept of arranged marriage was dealt with. Living in a very western society it could be considered by a lot of people very backwards and such but Rishi really challenges this by explaining the value in it. A lot of us have very western mind frames like Dimple so it was interesting to hear that perspective. I liked learning about all the Indian culture sprinkled throughout the book and you can definitely tell the author knows what she's talking about!

I had so much fun reading when Dimple Met Rishi I can't wait to pick up more by Sandhya Menon.

My rating: 4.5 stars.

Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment