Tuesday 8 May 2018

Catching Stars by Cayla Keenan

Publication: May 8th 2018 by Oftomes Publishing

Goodreads Description:
Witch. Betrayal. Hunted.

Jayin Ijaad is in hiding. A witch with powerful abilities, she carves out a life for herself in the slums of Pavaal, a city rotting from the inside out. When an old acquaintance tracks her down, Jayin is dragged back into a world she tried to escape -- and is determined to escape again.

Maddix Kell is on the run. After two years in prison for crimes he did not commit, Maddix escapes and seeks out a legendary order of witchhunters who are his only chance to find justice.

But all is not as it seems and Maddix soon finds himself on the run from the people he sought as allies. When their paths collide, Jayin and Maddix must put aside their prejudices and forge an uneasy alliance that could crumble at any moment. But if they want to survive in Aestos -- a brutal kingdom where magic and corruption lie hand in hand and enemies lurk around every corner -- they must first survive each other.
 


My thoughts:
While I enjoyed parts of Catching Stars for the most part I just thought it was okay. It has been a few weeks since I read the book and I can hardly remember anything about it; it just didn't leave a lasting impression on me at all. All I have to go off for this review is notes I took while I was reading it.

I found Catching Stars very hard to get into, I often felt my mind wandering because of the very slow start. I will say the plot did pick up a bit later in the book but I really struggled through the first few chapters.

I also wasn't a fan of Jayin and Maddix individually. They both felt very meh to me. I did like them together though- they had an interesting dynamic that kept me engaged for the most part. I liked how they had prejudices about each other that were being challenged throughout their relationship.

At times the writing was great, it was flowery but not too flowery but then at other times, particularly action scenes I found it hard to comprehend what was happening. 

There's not much else I can say. My reading experience was a bit of a weird one too because I was reading the book in few pages chunks over 2 weeks whereas I usually read a book in a few days so that might have affected my enjoyment. 

Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment