Tuesday 1 May 2018

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Hey guys! Short review today as I am super busy with college at the moment!

Publication:September 5th 2017 by HarperTeen

Goodreads Description:
Adam Silvera reminds us that there’s no life without death and no love without loss in this devastating yet uplifting story about two people whose lives change over the course of one unforgettable day.

On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They’re going to die today.

Mateo and Rufus are total strangers, but, for different reasons, they’re both looking to make a new friend on their End Day. The good news: There’s an app for that. It’s called the Last Friend, and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to meet up for one last great adventure—to live a lifetime in a single day.
 

My thoughts:
The hype surrounding They Both Die at the End is huge so I went in with high expectations and I am sad to say I was very disappointed. Was it thought provoking? Yes. Was it fun to read? No. I didn't enjoy the story at all because I didn't care enough about the characters and because I knew what was going to happen at the end.

I found it very difficult to focus in the beginning. I wasn't hooked straight away it took a while to get going. I found my mind wandering and was easily distracted while reading.

I liked Mateo because he is such a hufflepuff; he is very sweet and empathetic and easy to like and relate to. Rufus on the other hand I could not stand. He was just so rough around the edges and I think this is a big reason I didn't enjoy the book. I just found him so hard to like in the beginning

The story is told through multiple perspectives which I don't think was necessary. It is mostly Rufus and Mateo and I definitely preferred Mateo but there was also a few chapters scattered here and there from other people who got the call and it felt weird and not really necessary to the story.

I was a bit underwhelmed with the ending. I finished the book and just moved onto the next book on my TBR. It didn't carry that emotional punch I was expecting when I picked the book up. I just wasn't emotionally invested in the characters.

It was an interesting concept and definitely thought provoking though. It really made me think about what I'd do on my end day and about taking life for granted.

I have read 2 of Adam Silvera's books now and haven't been blown away, I just don't think his stories are for me. Who knows I might give him another chance in the future.

Thanks for reading,
A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment