Saturday 5 December 2015

Secrets in Phoenix by Grabriella Lepore


Publication: October 13th 2015 by Oftomes Publishing

Goodreads summary:
When Sophie Ballester and her twin brothers Sam and Todd are uprooted from their home and sent to a remote boarding school run by their Great Aunt Ness, they stumble upon a hidden room that holds a secret—a secret that will change everything. 

The people of Phoenix Holt are not what they seem. 

In fact, nothing is.

My thoughts: (spoiler free)
Secrets in Phoenix is a very short quick read that is immensely enjoyable. It was very interesting and held my attention the whole time I was reading. Captivating and intriguing with a mix of magic, this book was such a fun read.

I'm not one to really pick up fantasy paranormal standalones but after reading this one I'd like to read some more. I've always thought you can't develop a fantasy world properly in one book so I was pleasantly surprised to find Gabriella Lepore did an excellent job of it in Secrets in Phoenix.

I loved the setting. I felt like the writing was very descriptive and I had a good sense of where the story was taking place and had strong pictures in my head of how the setting looked.

Sophie is likeable character. Usually 15 year old protagonists can be annoying and make stupid decisions that make readers want to tear their hair out; but Sophie is not one of those protagonists. She is smart, caring and selfless.

One of my favourite aspects of the story was how Lepore explores the sibling relationship between Sophie, Sam and Todd. I think she portrayed the relationship very realistically  and strong sibling relationships isn't something I see a lot of in YA.

I do think some things were a bit predictable but there was definitely some twists and turns here and that surprised me.

Secrets in Phoenix has a satisfying ending but I felt it was a bit rushed and I would have liken a bit more explanation at the end. 

I enjoyed my time reading Secrets in Phoenix and will definitely be picking up more by Lepore!

My rating:4 stars out of 5!

* I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher Oftomes Publishing. All opinions are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment