Tuesday 26 July 2016

A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

*Warning this post contains spoilers for the first book in the series, A Darker Shade of Magic*

Series: Shades of Magic, #2

Publication: February 23rd 2016 by Tor Books

Goodreads description:
It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Prince Rhy was wounded, and since the nefarious Dane twins of White London fell, and four months since the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift – back into Black London.

Now, restless after having given up his smuggling habit, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks as she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games – an extravagant international competition of magic meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries – a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

And while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night will reappear in the morning. But the balance of magic is ever perilous, and for one city to flourish, another London must fall.

My thoughts:
I really liked A Gathering of Shadows but I think A Darker Shade of Magic was better.

I think I didn't like this one as much because I found it hard to get into. I felt like not a lot of action was happening in the first half of the book. There is alternating POVs like the first book but I found myself preferring Lila's perspective more so I just wanted to read about her and when we were with Kell I just kept wondering when were we going to get back to Lila. Luckily in the second half of the book the pace really picks up and there is lots of action.

We are introduced to some new characters in A Gathering of Shadows and I really liked getting to know them; especially Alucard Emery, a pirate captain. He has lots of layers to him and it was fun trying to figure him out.

We got a lot of world building in A Darker Shade of Magic and in A Gathering of Shadows we get even more. The world is expanded excellently, we get to learn about some countries/kingdoms that are in the same world as Red London. I found it really interesting seeing how the other countries view magic compared to Red London.

The ending is not a satisfying one. There is a big cliffhanger and it is driving me crazy waiting for the last book in the trilogy which is expected to be published in 2017! I'll definitely be picking it up!

My rating: 4 stars
Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment