Tuesday 12 July 2016

The Last Star by Rick Yancey

*Warning- This post contains spoilers for the first two books in the trilogy, The 5th Wave and The Infinite Sea*

Series: The 5th Wave trilogy, #3

Publication: May 24th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

Goodreads Description:
The enemy is Other. The enemy is us.

They’re down here, they’re up there, they’re nowhere. They want the Earth, they want us to have it. They came to wipe us out, they came to save us.

But beneath these riddles lies one truth: Cassie has been betrayed. So has Ringer. Zombie. Nugget. And all 7.5 billion people who used to live on our planet. Betrayed first by the Others, and now by ourselves.

In these last days, Earth’s remaining survivors will need to decide what’s more important: saving themselves…or saving what makes us human.

My thoughts:
If your hesitant to pick up The Last Star because you didn't like The Infinite Sea a much as The 5th Wave I'm here to tell you pick up The Last Star it's way better than book 2!

Rick Yancey's writing just gets better and better with each book! There was a good bit of cursing which I'm not a fan of but other than that his style is truly unique. Some of the passages in this book are so poetic and other times he just tells it like it is. I really like his style.

I find that a lot of authors can't write different point of view to sound different but Rick Yancey can. I never got confused as to who was narrating. Each character has their own distinct voice which made it easy to follow who was narrating.

The plot of The Last Star is so fast paced. There is so much going on in this book. It is action packed from start to finish and I couldn't put the book down, especially because of the short chapters and cliff hangers at the end of each POV.

My only problem with the fast pace was I would have liked if the plot was slowed down a little so we could have a few more character driven moments rather than plot drive ones. I understand that the characters don't really have time to be sitting around chatting but it would have been nice.

Looking back at where some of the characters were in The 5th Wave and where they are at the end of Th Last Star you can really see how the characters have grown and changed.

I still love Cassie. Her narration was probably my favourite just because she's so snarky. She's does make some rash decisions in The Last Star and I didn't really agree with her all the time but I couldn't help but admire her courage.

Ringer definitely has a lot going on in The Last Star. In The Infinite Sea she gets the 12th System downloaded into her body so she has enhanced abilities and she really explores them in The Last Star which I really liked reading. It was interesting swing her relationship with Zombie/Ben after the events in The Infinite Sea, we do get to see them interact a good bit in The Last Star but I wanted a bit more.

Zombie/Ben is my favourite character in this series. His sarcastic remarks in The Last Star were the best. I really liked seeing him step into a father figure role in The Last Star not only for Nugget but for Megan too.

I really liked how Cassie and Evan's romance was pushed aside in The Last Star. Personally I was more interested in the other stiff going on so i was happy about this.

The ending was satisfying enough as well as bittersweet. It was definitely predictable but I didn't mind.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment