Tuesday 19 July 2016

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Goodreads description:
From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak.

Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.

My thoughts:
Second Chance Summer is one of the saddest books I've ever read. It is an absolutely heartbreaking story about love and loss and I think it's one everyone should give a go.

It's not a summery feel good romance like Morgan Matson's other books but that doesn't mean it doesn't have all the charm her other stories have. Like all her books there is a big focus on family and friends.

I loved getting to see the family dealing with the situation and how each member of the family reacted differently. I liked how we slowly get to know them as they start getting to know each other. There's a big focus on parental love as well as love between sibling. I liked reading about how they learn means to be there for each other in times of need.

My favourite relationship that is explore in Second Chance Summer has to be Taylor's relationship with her father. It's incredibly heartwarming while also being incredibly heartbreaking. I think it's definitely the relationship that was developed the most.

Friendship is another big aspect of the story particularly how childhood friends are sometimes the ones that mean the most. Taylor gets a second chance at trying to fix a friendship that fell apart years ago. She's learns how to go about this and how to rebuild the relationship after the falling out.

I really liked Taylor, I found her to be super relatable. Her character development is amazing. She's a very different person by the end of the book. She grows and changes so much over the course of this one summer. The changes in her are so subtle you don't even realise how much ha changed until you think back to how she acted at the start of the book.

Henry, the love interest, was linkable. Usually I love Morgan Matson's male characters but I didn't love Henry. Personally I would have liken more from him.He didn't stand out to me as a character I'll remember. He felt a bit 2 D to me.

Overall I would highly recommend Second Chance Summer to everyone but be warned have tissues at the ready because you'll need them!!

My rating: 4.5 stars
Thanks for reading,
A :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment