Friday 15 July 2016

The Crown by Kiera Cass

*Warning this post contains spoilers for the previous books in the series: The Selection, The Elite, The One and The Heir*

Series: The Selection, #5

Publication:May 3rd 2016 by HarperTeen

Goodreads description:
When Eadlyn became the first princess of IllĂ©a to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.

My thought:
The Crown wasn't terrible but it wasn't the happy cute read I expect from The Selection series. The writing, world building, plot etc are not great, everyone seems to know this so I only read these books because they're just so addictive but to be honest The Crown was missing that addictive quality. I still flew through it in a few hours but I didn't enjoy it like the other books.

Eadlyn's character development is probably the one of the best parts of this series (The Heir and The Crown). She's let go of her egotistical self centred side and has transformed into much nicer young woman and above all a leader. I really liked how when she stepped into the role of regent she didn't let anyone tell her what to do or walk all over her,she stood her ground and did what she wanted.

My favourite part of The Crown has to be Maxon. I loved getting to see him fretting over America and being all concerned for her health and just generally being the Maxon I grew to love in the original trilogy. He still funny and just down right endearing. The only thing that I had a problem with was a decision he makes in The Crown. It was totally out of character and I felt like it was just thrown in there for the benefit of making the story mildly interesting.

The romance in The Crown is so predictable - it was so obvious (to me anyway)who Eadlyn would end up with but nevertheless I still had hopes for my ship and in the end it didn't sail so I'm pretty annoyed at that. I don't think Eadlyn made the best decision. I didn't feel any spark between Eadlyn and the boy she ended up choosing in the end. Their relationship felt seriously underdeveloped.  I felt like her chemistry with one of the other boys was much more evident and he should have been the one she chose.

When I heard that there was going to be two books added onto the original trilogy I was so exited because it meant Cass would have the opportunity to focus on the world building she neglected in the first three books. So I went into these books hoping Kiera Cass would  finally expand on this world and I'm always disappointed. Relations between continents and countries are briefly touched on in The Crown as Eadlyn becomes regent for a while but Cass didn't take advantage of what I think this was an excellent opportunity to explore the world in which these books have been set, to go deeper into the politics and stuff.

The ending was super rushed and everything was resolved so easily and quickly it was almost laughable.

Overall I think this series should have ended with The One. I had an okay time reading The Crown and there was definitely parts that I really liked but ultimately I think this series should have finished after The One.

My rating: 3.5 stars
Thanks for reading,
A :)
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment