Tuesday 3 July 2018

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: Time Quintet, #1

Publication: November 7th 2017 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 1962)

Goodreads Description:
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger. 

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".

Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space? 

My thoughts:
A Wrinkle in Time is a quick weird read I think kids would love but as a 21 year old it missed the mark with me. It probably didn't help that I read it at a weird time but I ended up thinking it was an okay read but not very memorable. 

Meg was a pretty cookie cutter main character. She feels like no one understands her and she goes on and on about it. I felt like there was nothing special about her and I couldn't relate to her so I ended up not really caring about her.

I also wasn't overly invested in the plot. I usually love middle grade adventure stories but this one just didn't grab my attention but as I said I read this at a bit of a weird time in my life when I couldn't properly focus my attention on reading. It also felt a bit sloppy and all over the place and this made it hard to follow what was going on. There were some parts that just felt random and out of place.

This book has some weird stuff going on and I had to suspend my disbelief because some of the events were very out there. I think a kid reading wouldn't have this problem while reading but as a 21 year old it was a bit too bizarre for me.

I think I would have liked A Wrinkle in Time a lot more if I'd read it at a different time, but as it was it was just an alright read for me. I won't be reading the next book in the series.

Thanks for reading,

A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment