Tuesday 10 July 2018

Beneath The Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

*Warning this post contains spoilers for first book in the series, Every Heart A Doorway*

Series: Wayward Children, #3

Publication: January 9th 2018 by tor.com

Goodreads Description:
Beneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world. 

Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she’s trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic. 

My thoughts:
Loved it! This one was published as the third book but it's more of a second book because it actually takes place soon after the events of Every Heart A Doorway. 

Beneath the Sugar Sky has a much more whimsical tone compared to the other two book which have a darker more eerie feeling to them and that made this one my least favourite of the trilogy.

While I liked Rini I found myself distances from her. I didn't relate or connect to her much. I liked how determined she was though to do what she wanted. Rini is fat and while I can't speak on the fat representation I've read ownvoices reviews and most say it was dealt with in a sensitive manner and isn't anything harmful or malicious but was a bit heavy handed as most of Rimi's page time is spent remind readers she is fat and that's all there really was to her character. I agree with this, I felt like her weight was brought up way more than necessary. 

There was some great cameos of characters from Every Heart A Doorway which I loved. It was so much fun getting to hang with some old favourites.

This book has a very quest like plot compared to the previous books which I loved! The characters were travelling between worlds and it was so much fun exploring the all the different places! We got to go to lots of new places and places we have heard of in previous books!

I loved all the new world building this book brought to the series. It was so interesting learning how the different magic systems work and how all the worlds connect together and such.


I say it every time I read a Seanan McGuire book but the writing is just so pretty! 

I had a lot of fun reading Beneath the Sugar Sky, not my favourite in the series but a wonderful instalment nonetheless! 

Thanks for reading,

A :)

No comments:

Post a Comment